For fixing a malfunctioning garage door, understanding how it functions is very important. Any type of mechanical equipment has a tendency to malfunction or break with continued use over time. Even the garage door tends to create small or major issues after years. Thus, the garage door needs periodic inspection and maintenance to keep it working in a long run. Here is a brief guideline that will show you the mechanism of the automatic overhead garage door. If you are not sure what to do with the malfunctioning garage door, consult a professional garage door company such as Fairborn garage door repair to resolve the problems of the garage door.
Understanding the mechanism of garage door:
There are two important parts of a garage door. One is the garage door itself and the other is the operating mechanism that opens and closes it. Most of the problems that crop up with the operating mechanism and structure of the garage door are because either of the two sections is not functioning correctly.
Tips for garage door repair project:
When the garage door runs on track to swing upward, torsion springs generated and released the tension. Special metal tracks are attached to both sides of the garage door to make it move upward or downward. When your garage door starts to create loud or cracking sounds or does not run smoothly, the issue lies with the structure of the garage door. Well, the following mentioned are helpful repair tips and techniques.
- Make sure that the metal tracks of garage door are in good working position. They are aligned and tightened securely to support the garage door in the opening and closing process. Look for the signs of damages such as crimps, flats, and dents on the tracks. If you find the damages, use a hammer to straighten them. If then damages is severe, replace them.
- Check the alignment of tracks and springs. Tracks are used to operate the garage door and maintain their balance from either side so tracks should be aligned correctly. If you experience any discrepancy, just loosen the screws of the tracks and tap them to put them back into their original position. You will need a screw driver and a spanner to fix them.
- Make sure that garage door tracks and other parts are lubricated properly. You should use a grease or silicone spray to lubricate them every once in a while. It also helps the garage door in the smooth movements. Also, you should clean the rollers and tracks with a damp cloth. If garage door become rusted or damaged and beyond to simple garage door repair work, then you should replace them immediately.
- Check the garage door to find out damages. It may be coming off the tracks because it is not strong and sturdy anymore. If your garage door is in poor working position or damaged badly, you need to replace the entire garage door. In such case, consider buying a new garage door to make your house safe and secure.
- Inspect the garage door thoroughly, if something is blocking the path of running garage door. Roller garage door especially tend to jam when there is accumulated grease and dirt stuck in the pathway of garage door. Examine the garage door thoroughly to check its physical condition. Test the performance of garage door by opening and closing it to its half way.
Caution: never try to attempt garage door repair work on your own especially if it is a concern to garage door springs, cables, or other part tensed parts. Consult a professional garage door repair company to fix or replace the damaged tracks. Any garage door part that needs to be replaced should be done under the supervision of experts. Remember that loose garage door parts can be extremely dangerous to handle.